Student Rights and Complaint Process
Indiana University is committed to providing an exceptional educational experience that is transparent, efficient, stimulating, and fair. If, as a prospective or current student, you feel that your experience with a course or program at Indiana University is substandard, you may register a complaint.

Complaint Process within the University
Indiana University has established procedures for students to follow when they believe that their rights, as defined in the Code of Student Rights, Responsibilities, and Conduct have been violated by a member of the university community.

The local campus offices of the dean of students, affirmative action, and faculty affairs, as appropriate, will help address student complaints.

Complaint Process outside the University
All campuses of Indiana University are accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. This level of accreditation is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. If—after following the procedures outlined in the Code of Student Rights, Responsibilities, and Conduct—you believe that your complaint has not been properly addressed, you may file your complaint in accordance with the following.

If You Live in the State of Indiana
If you feel that the school or an accredited program has failed to meet the expectations of accreditation, you may file a complaint with the program’s accrediting body. Each accrediting body receives complaints. In general, they have the following expectations:

  • Attempt to resolve your complaint locally. Your department, school, and campus each have processes for resolving complaints. Some accreditors will require that you demonstrate that you have exhausted the local processes before filing a complaint with them.
  • Submit your complaint in writing. Many accrediting bodies require that your complaint be submitted in writing. This creates a record of the complaint and includes your signature, attesting to the authenticity of the complaint.
Accreditor contact information and complaints procedures

If You Live outside the State of Indiana
If you are an online student living outside of Indiana, visit IU Online for details on filing a complaint.